So those of you who actually know me IRL know that I volunteer a lot. I personally LOVE to complain, but I am a firm believer that if you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problems. That being said, if there is something I have a problem with, I get involved to try to help make it better. You noticed I said 'try'. Some times things are just too screwed up for little ol me to fix, but it doesn't mean that I don't try my hardest. AND, if I am 'trying' then I can bitch, whine, and moan to my hearts content!
I also get involved in programs/organizations that I think really do GOOD for my community. If there is an organization that I am interested in, then I join and do all I can. I am not saying that I have my hand in everything in our area because I truly DON'T. Right now, I am involved in our FRG (Family Readiness Group) and the VFW Ladies Axillary (locally) and via email I am involved in AnySoldier.com. There are other orgs that do great work, but to do my best I have to prioritize. Families are my focus and both orgs are great for families. Within those 2 groups I try to be where I am most needed. I am currently heading up a canned food drive for our Battalion. ***IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA PLEASE DONATE***.
As the (CO) FRG leader for Billy's Company, I try to get families involved in activities and do what I can to help them with anything they may need to make the upcoming deployment a successful one (I am sad to say that I fail @ this a lot, but I do keep trying). Deployments are so very hard on each family and in so many different ways. I feel that we as Military Families need to help one another because no one but other Military Families TRULY understand how we feel and what we go through on a daily basis during the deployment cycle (pre, and post included).
The Military Family is so amazingly resilient and strong, but we as humans do need help from time to time. I can't help but put myself in a position to lend a hand if/when I am needed, because I KNOW there were times during the last deployment that I would not have made it through w/out a friend or two to hold me together when life hit me between the eyes! BTW, Thanks again, Battles! You know who you are!
Now when it comes to the VFW LAX, I am totally new and am pretty unsure as to what I am supposed to be doing just yet. I hold an appointed position as the Post Advisor-Liaison w/VFW and am waiting on a detailed position description and a 'brief' of sorts to outline my responsibilities, which I should be getting any time now. I am so super excited to be involved with such a wonderful organization.
The VFW honors Soldiers and the LAX honors the Families of those same Soldiers. I feel that even though the families aren't in the Military, they still 'serve' just the same. We are the ones that hold it all together so the Soldiers have something to come home too. I know that some may feel differently but sometimes being the family member left behind is harder than being the Soldier down range in a war zone. Not always, but sometimes. Please do not confuse me with one of those wife that run around with the bumper sticker that says 'Military Wife, Hardest Job in the Military' cuz I am NOT! That saying drives me up a wall EVERY TIME I see it! I just feel that sometimes being left behind is harder than leaving, that's about it.
Well that's about it for making my world a better place..... Until next time and next topic!
Melinda
No comments:
Post a Comment